Saturday, August 22, 2009

What books are there on this stuff?

There are probably loads of books that I'm not aware of which are available. The books I've chosen are on the holistic end, as, after opening a book in Borders to find a whole fully-illustrrated page on problems, illnnesses and issues I decided I wanted a more positive approach. Here are the ones I've found, feel free to let me know about any others you come across.

Shiatsu for Midwives by Suzanne Yates with Tricia Anderson
This book has been a real find in terms of ideas, points to work with and avoid, little meditations and visualisations to reccomend or adapt. It also shows what level of support and help you and your newborn could receive from a trained practitioner.

Magical beginnings, enchanted lives: a holistic guide to pregnancy and childbirth by Deepak Chopra
Informative and calming with clear information and lots of suggestions how to connect more depely with yourself and your baby during this magical time. Quite aspirational, don't feel you have to achieve the ideal that is painted.

Eastern Body, Western Mind (revised) Anodea Judith
Working through the chakras as a psychological model has been a long term process of over a decade for me. This book, is the best explanation I have ever found. Particularly useful at the moment, it looks at the chakras as a model of child development, overlapping many systems to show their similarities. The section on the base chakra is especially relevant. A truly outstanding work and one I think I will be referring to for the next decade both for me and for bump.

And Finally...
The Descent of the Child: Human Evolution from a new perspective by Elaine Morgan
A play in the title of Darwin's famous book 'The Descent of Man' this book considers evolution from the perspective of conception, pregnancy and child development in the womb. A fascinating book which highlights how centred around the male body and theories of male authors much of evolution has been since Wallace and Darwin's great insight into natural selection. It is a great way to refocus on how important and valuable the role of motherhood is to human existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment